Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2017, 01:29:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

July 05, 2017, 02:35:23 PM
ouch!! haha that's gotta bite.

I'm just trying to decide where to go camping this weekend!!

Bazinga

July 03, 2017, 06:54:05 PM
Stupid flat tire ruined my hiking plans.  :P

ShifuCareaga

March 06, 2017, 11:19:53 AM
Really missed being out yesterday. Rest is important, though. I hope all of you are having a good spring!

Bazinga

November 24, 2016, 02:29:39 PM
Gobble, Gobble.  Happy Turkey Day!!  :D

ShifuCareaga

April 24, 2016, 04:38:09 PM
If people don't get out there... they are missing it... wow what a great weekend for getting out!

Show 50 latest
5 Guests, 1 User
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best place for sunrise?  (Read 312 times)

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
Best place for sunrise?
« on: December 04, 2016, 12:52:00 PM »

One of my kids woke me up this morning at 4:30 and I could not go back to sleep. I thought about driving to the gorge to catch the sunrise and realized that I was not sure where I would head. It turned out that the weather looked iffy enough that I did not make the drive, but I want to be prepared for next time.

One potential place is Hanson's Point, from the Gray's arch parking, it is an easy hike. But with TRR closed now, that was ruled out.

If the weather had cooperated, I was going to drive to Sky Bridge. I haven't been there in a bit, but I think there would be a decent view to the southeast.

I also considered Tarr Ridge, but I have only done that hike once and I am not sure I want to do the climb at the end in the dark.

So, where would you head that that involved less than an hour of hiking and ended up with a good view of the southeast?

copper creek

• Thru Hiker
  • I hope my knees hold out
Re: Best place for sunrise?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 05:00:18 PM »

I've enjoyed sunrise on cloud splitter several times.  During the summer, when there's fog in the valley, you can understand how it got its name.

thedayhascome

• Over Nighter
  • Josh
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 08:51:44 AM »

One potential place is Hanson's Point, from the Gray's arch parking, it is an easy hike. But with TRR closed now, that was ruled out.

From my understanding from the DBNF Department and their Woodland Fire updates, TRR is only closed AFTER Gray's Arch Trailhead, so that area is still accessible - especially now that the fires have been contained, so don't rule that area out.

Top locations:
  • The Veranda
  • Hanson's Point
  • Pinch 'Em Tight Gap Overlook
  • Cloudsplitter
  • Auxier Ridge/Courthouse Rock
  • Jailhouse Rock

FWIW, you can look at a topo map and find any ridgeline or cliff facing East that is not obstructed immediately by another ridgeline. Really can't go wrong with any of these locations.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 08:53:50 AM by thedayhascome »
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

6.3lbs base weight | https://lighterpack.com/r/86ugs2

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 09:53:38 AM »

From my understanding from the DBNF Department and their Woodland Fire updates, TRR is only closed AFTER Gray's Arch Trailhead, so that area is still accessible - especially now that the fires have been contained, so don't rule that area out.

Top locations:
  • The Veranda
  • Hanson's Point
  • Pinch 'Em Tight Gap Overlook
  • Cloudsplitter
  • Auxier Ridge/Courthouse Rock
  • Jailhouse Rock

FWIW, you can look at a topo map and find any ridgeline or cliff facing East that is not obstructed immediately by another ridgeline. Really can't go wrong with any of these locations.

Excellent list and great advice. The Veranda (user trail in "Hinterlands' that leads out a ridge from near the Rush Ridge/Rough Trail intersection) was at the top of my list as well, really beautiful place for a sunrise lots of room to stretch out on the exposed rock for breakfast/coffee. This overlook is pretty easy to get to if you're not camping out there and just hiking out by headlamp, definitely shorter than out to Hanson's Point. Hanson's Point is pretty phenomenal though!

The Swift Camp Creek Overlook has a decent vantage for sunrise, but from what I've heard the blowdowns have made it pretty difficult to get out there.

Also, Raven Rock has a pretty incredible perspective for sunrise.

Let's get some sunrise photos in here. Here is one from The Veranda (99% sure) to kick things off!

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 01:09:02 PM »

A few more:

Sunrises are pretty magical things, especially in the RRG. I think the pictures above are Hanson's Point, The Veranda (I've spent the night there at least 10 times), and Raven's Rock . . . pretty sure about this one : )

copper creek

• Thru Hiker
  • I hope my knees hold out
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 05:15:39 PM »

cludsplitter sunrise/moonset

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 06:02:02 PM »

I'm partial to the sunrise from the popular spot near Arch de Triumph.  The tree configuration for hanging the hammock makes it perfect for the the sunrise. 

On the flip side, if you are standing on the rock steps on the way towards Auxier, and you look left at sunset, at the right time of year you can see the sunset shining thru Arch de Triumph.  If you are camping nearby I highly recommend hanging out on these steps as the sun drops.

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 08:30:56 PM »

One of the outrageGIS maps has sunsets/rise.
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 08:43:05 PM »

I appreciate all the suggestions, but I think I need to rephrase or restate my constraints.

I'm not asking for places to sleep, I want to hike in about a half hour to an hour before sunrise. So dark and not a long hike and not much of a scramble. But, if people want to make suggestions for campsite locations as well, feel free :)

I can get to The Veranda and Hanson's Point from the Martin's Fork trailhead, but I am not sure I can do it in an hour or so in the dark. And I just reread the suggestion about Gray Arch Trailhead still being open so Veranda and Hansons Point would be doable even now.

Auxier Ridge is out right now because TRR is shut. I could repeat the dayhike that I just did from Martins Fork over to Auxier Ridge, but I'm not willing to do it in the dark.

I still have never been to the top of Cloudsplitter so I did not consider it in the dark :) I guess that should be my next dayhike in the gorge.

Any idea, would Skybridge been a good drive up and see the sunrise location?

Good point about the OutrageGIS map, I never paid much attention to the sunrise/sunset map, but clearly I need to :)

thanks everyone

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 05:22:16 AM »

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 05:53:34 AM »

The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up