Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2017, 03:32:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

March 06, 2017, 11:19:53 AM
Really missed being out yesterday. Rest is important, though. I hope all of you are having a good spring!

Bazinga

November 24, 2016, 02:29:39 PM
Gobble, Gobble.  Happy Turkey Day!!  :D

ShifuCareaga

April 24, 2016, 04:38:09 PM
If people don't get out there... they are missing it... wow what a great weekend for getting out!

ShifuCareaga

March 18, 2016, 10:39:51 PM
you need dit da jow, would heal twice as fast  ;)

Bazinga

March 12, 2016, 07:46:55 AM
Broke my little toe, no hiking for awhile. >:(

Show 50 latest
24 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jailhouse, Courthouse, Star Gap & Auxier Trip Report  (Read 378 times)

thedayhascome

• Day Hiker
  • Josh
Jailhouse, Courthouse, Star Gap & Auxier Trip Report
« on: November 23, 2016, 05:49:01 PM »

Big Sky Country | Nov 18 - 19, 2016

With Tunnel Ridge Road closed, parked at Martin's Fork TH to gain access to the Northwest section of the Red, using Raven's Rock OV trail. This user trail that forks from the large campsite near the end of Raven's Rock was difficult to find, overgrown and covered with thick briars and overgrowth. The path is still flagged with blue tape to help wayfind, however we lost the trail numerous times on our return back to Martin's Fork. I suggest doing this trail with a GPS, topos - do not attempt this at night as you will easily get lost.

Once gaining Tunnel Ridge Road just north of Nada Tunnel, there was no one in this section of the Red. We had the entire area to ourselves, so that was pretty spectacular. I've never seen the Auxier Ridge Trailhead empty before. There were a few fire service trucks parked, but no people or hikers around.

Beautiful 79 hiking weather on Friday, however we encountered rain with 20mph+ wind gusts overnight around 2am - 6am. The temperature dropped into the low 40's within a short time, so a very extreme change in temperature.

User Path near Ravens Rock

Views from Jailhouse Rock

Star Gap Arch Overlook

Star Gap Arch

Star Gap Arch Guestbook

Star Gap Arch

Double Arch

Courthouse Rock

Me at Courthouse Rock

Courthouse Rock

View of Raven's Rock from Courthouse

Raven's Rock

Raven's Rock

Camp near Jailhouse Rock

Tarp with a low pitch for expected rain

ZPacks cuben fiber 10 8.5 tarp

Sunset on Star Gap Branch Overlook, sittting on top of Muscle Beach.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 06:01:22 PM by thedayhascome »
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

6.3lbs base weight | https://lighterpack.com/r/86ugs2

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
Re: Jailhouse, Courthouse, Star Gap & Auxier Trip Report
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 06:17:18 PM »

Awesome pictures and well-done trip report. Thanks for sharing. It's awesome to have some of the RRG all to yourself, especially an area as popular as Auxier Ridge/end of TRR.

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 11:45:42 AM »

love that first Courthouse Rock shot; you can feel the Qi emanating off of the rock. Makes me wish I was there with ya. Great post/share!

I just did RRG last Friday, so I'll be heading to other DBNF tomorrow. But this makes me wish I could be in two places....

wsp_scott

• Day Hiker
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 09:10:07 PM »

Thanks for inspiring a great dayhike. I had looked at the map and frequently thought that it should be doable to get across that ridge from TRR.

The weather was perfect today and my in-laws were in town, so I headed to the gorge to see what I would find. I got to the Martin's Fork Trailhead around 10:30 on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. My car thermometer said 40 degrees. The sun was shining and the only potential issue was I was fighting a head cold which is arguably better than fighting a hangover :)

I followed the obvious user trail up towards the ridge and after one false start, I reached the top of the ridge. The flagging made the trail mostly easy to follow, there were probably 5 or 6 different color tapes, most very faded, but still noticeable/followable. 

I hit TRR around 12:30 and headed towards Auxier Trailhead. It was very weird coming around the corner and not seeing any cars at all. It turns out that I really like the gorge without any people in in :) I still ended up carrying garbage (I think mylar balloons should be illegal).

I headed out towards Courthouse Rock with the idea that I would loop back on Courthouse Rock trail. I ended up enjoying the views for so long that when I got to Courthouse Rock, I turned around and headed back. I had an easy trip back until after I had climbed down from the ridge and lost the trail, a little bit of bushwacking and I was back at the trailhead around 4, the thermometer said 48 degrees. 

• Day Hiker
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 07:44:47 AM »

According to the Forest Service Tunnel Ridge Road is closed to all traffic,Including foot. You should have read the Forest Service Alert.

wsp_scott

• Day Hiker
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 11:00:53 AM »

If you look at what the map the Forest Service posted at trailheads and online (http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd523946.pdf) TRR is not closed past Nada Tunnel.

• Day Hiker
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 11:23:13 AM »

Your right.

Betania

• Day Hiker
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 09:18:07 AM »

Awesome trip reports! Thanks so much for sharing.
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. - John Muir

thedayhascome

• Day Hiker
  • Josh
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 10:06:51 PM »

According to the Forest Service Tunnel Ridge Road is closed to all traffic,Including foot. You should have read the Forest Service Alert.

Yes, I called and confirmed prior to doing the trek with both the ranger station and the forestry fire service. All legit! Get out there and enjoy some solitude, won't have this section of the Red to yourself for much longer probably.
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

6.3lbs base weight | https://lighterpack.com/r/86ugs2
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy