Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 07:10:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

thedayhascome

December 05, 2017, 09:14:28 AM
Just returned from the Red. Enjoyed beautiful sunrises and the super moon, it was an awesome time!

Bazinga

November 23, 2017, 07:22:04 AM
Turkey & wine today, Hiking in the gorge tomorrow. Life is GOOD!!!

ShifuCareaga

October 31, 2017, 10:08:51 AM
That's my surmise as well. I've seen also, about 4 or 5 all black wooly worms. That... is weird.

Arthur

October 25, 2017, 02:22:14 PM
There is a little color here, probably be about as good as its gonna get this weekend, but I just don't think its going to be a good year for it

KYhiker40

October 24, 2017, 06:58:54 PM
How are the leaves looking about now? I'm headed to RRG this Friday.

Show 50 latest
30 Guests, 1 User
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: so... random class 4- rapid today  (Read 588 times)

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
so... random class 4- rapid today
« on: May 01, 2016, 07:50:50 PM »

Didn't expect that... and yeah I went under  :P About 2 miles above Copperas Creek launch area

I'm really new to kayaking and I'm just glad I'm fine because that was crazy. That's what happens you listen to your Fire element friends and go out. "Le'ts do the upper section [above Copperas], it'll be more fun with rain."

Shyeah... that's one way to put it. I'm wiped.

Here's a photo for y'all (of a calm area). There were probably about 12 waterfalls going, I only could get a couple. One was really high, another a 3 tier... and a third one was a slider I wanted to slide!

btw, yes, a trunk full of trash from the boat launch area :) up 746 "Big Branch River Boat Launch"

FallenArches

• Day Hiker
Re: so... random class 4- rapid today
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 10:11:10 PM »

I yakked today, also.  Albeit the much quieter Beech Fork River.  We've yakked for several years on several rivers, but never the "woolly" stuff.  The Upper Red can be dangerous if you don't know what you're  doing.  Glad you're safe and have a story to tell.
We have fallen heirs to the most glorious heritage a people ever received, and each one must do his part if we wish to show that this nation is worthy of its good fortune.-Theodore Roosevelt, 7/4/1886

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 09:41:12 AM »

I yakked today, also.  Albeit the much quieter Beech Fork River.  We've yakked for several years on several rivers, but never the "woolly" stuff.  The Upper Red can be dangerous if you don't know what you're  doing.  Glad you're safe and have a story to tell.

Lol me too!! Thanks!

Backcountry Strider

• Day Hiker
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 08:59:03 AM »

Shifu - did you run the upper Red section in a recreational kayak?  I have been working my way up to doing a more serious stretch like that and was wondering more about the details of your trip?  I have heard it can be done with a fairly basic kayak with a skirt.

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 11:38:55 AM »

I was in a friend's inflatable kayak, and I'm a total novice, and that was a remarkable deluge day.

So yes, you can, most of the people out there were in recreational kayaks. It isn't always a class IV it's normally Class III at the worst.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy