Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 03:36:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

Bazinga

Today at 07:22:04 AM
Turkey & wine today, Hiking in the gorge tomorrow. Life is GOOD!!!

ShifuCareaga

October 31, 2017, 10:08:51 AM
That's my surmise as well. I've seen also, about 4 or 5 all black wooly worms. That... is weird.

Arthur

October 25, 2017, 02:22:14 PM
There is a little color here, probably be about as good as its gonna get this weekend, but I just don't think its going to be a good year for it

KYhiker40

October 24, 2017, 06:58:54 PM
How are the leaves looking about now? I'm headed to RRG this Friday.

keith

October 09, 2017, 09:16:36 AM
Nice!

Show 50 latest
26 Guests, 1 User

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An idea... Geocleaning  (Read 744 times)

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
An idea... Geocleaning
« on: March 26, 2016, 10:34:48 PM »

I was out at Pretty House Arch, and after carrying out some 10 pieces of trash I thought of Geocleaning. Basically Geocaching but you have to carry out a piece of trash and take pics of the trashy area to raise awareness.

I don't geocache regularly, but it seems if people are out there anyways, why not??

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
Re: An idea... Geocleaning
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 07:13:03 AM »

That's a great idea.  Last year I made a point to be more active about carrying out trash that I found while on the trails.  If everyone made a point to do the same, especially on day hikes and quick 1 night trips, imagine the difference it would make.  I know we've talked about it before here, and many of you carry large amounts of trash out each trip.  Thank you.

wsp_scott

• Over Nighter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 09:55:14 AM »

Never thought to take a picture, but I always end up carrying more out of the gorge than I entered with.

Yesterday I "found" a beer coozie with an empty bud light can, an Ale 8 bottle, an empty dip can and a string of helium balloons that I assume had floated in vs. carried in. I left the Ale 8 bottle on the Double Arch road/trail, right by the side trail to Star Gap Arch, to carry out on my way back to the car, if any of you picked it up, thanks.

I also came across another smouldering fire pit. Once again, I wished I had brought an actual trash bag to help clean up.

On a side note, the gorge was packed yesterday (day before Easter), never seen so many cars at Auxier TH. Hopefully some of those people carried out some trash.

Navigator

• Day Hiker
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 12:51:18 PM »

We carry out a few pieces of trash when we find some. Some campsites are so filthy it seems like a hopeless task. Many official and unofficial trails are now off our list as our dog ears everything. We are  afraid she will be poisoned! Also of concern is the broken bottles. What on earth are these people thinking?

Geocleaning is a good idea! Taking photos is also good. Maybe we could post trash photos on a social network and possibly shame some folks into doing better.
Today I have grown taller for walking with the trees. Emerson

Navigator

• Day Hiker
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 12:55:27 PM »

We once found a trashed site near Black John arch with a business card. I sent a message to the email on the card but never got a response. I mean, geez, how bold.

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 10:27:03 PM »

We once found a trashed site near Black John arch with a business card. I sent a message to the email on the card but never got a response. I mean, geez, how bold.

lol, although you never know I carry others' biz cards in my wallet.

A social network page would be sort of cute but not sure who'd run it... or the draw. I think teh idea of the geocleaning would be to use a geocaching site or have on here a geocleaning forum and geocleaning threads.

I mean, after watching a video of a plastic straw being pulled from a sea turtle's nose today I just feel it's time even we who do stuff step it up. It's only 1 Earth and after all the Mars thing is a pipe dream and total crap idea. We have to fight for our own survival. When the goin' gets tough, as they say. I have always done the work of 10 lazy people, so why not now?

I tell you what I have an idea... we start with a thread. People post pics of the amounts of trash they bring back from a trip. I'll give the one with the biggest amount or organizes the best cleanup, I'll give that person a free massage at my clinic or Tai Chi lesson (and my Taiji is the bomb, I don't mind sayin').

Hell people, what are we waiting for as a country? Russia? KYians have the opportunity to really have a clean state if we worked at it. Not too many people, fewer tourists, non commercial rivers... we just need higher consciousness.

Yes I hold to that. The person I deem does the best geocleaning I will gift an hour massage or a free Taiji private lesson, etc...
-Ramon

Navigator

• Day Hiker
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 08:41:08 AM »

You read it guys. Free massage! Dang, that sounds good.
 I should have told more about card. Not only did he leave it, but it was wedged into the top of a stick like a little advertisement! Wish I still had the picture. Next to little Billboard was a whiskey bottle.

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 08:51:31 PM »

HA. What a cheeky fellow!

Please people msg me when you post pics to, so I can see them.

I am going to Costa Rica next week so I may forget to check for a few weeks...

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 10:13:23 PM »

My child got the geocleaning for Bell Falls... two glass bottles!

nsaP

• Day Hiker
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 03:19:18 AM »

Reviving this for the new year.

I just take a small bag with me and fill it up every time I go.  It's no big deal but it makes a little difference.  Doesn't really weigh you down either cause most of the trash is beer cans :/

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 09:59:50 AM »

AGREE
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy