Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2017, 11:50:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

July 05, 2017, 02:35:23 PM
ouch!! haha that's gotta bite.

I'm just trying to decide where to go camping this weekend!!

Bazinga

July 03, 2017, 06:54:05 PM
Stupid flat tire ruined my hiking plans.  :P

ShifuCareaga

March 06, 2017, 11:19:53 AM
Really missed being out yesterday. Rest is important, though. I hope all of you are having a good spring!

Bazinga

November 24, 2016, 02:29:39 PM
Gobble, Gobble.  Happy Turkey Day!!  :D

ShifuCareaga

April 24, 2016, 04:38:09 PM
If people don't get out there... they are missing it... wow what a great weekend for getting out!

Show 50 latest
28 Guests, 3 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: East Fork of Indian Creek  (Read 864 times)

mattie

• Day Hiker
East Fork of Indian Creek
« on: December 26, 2015, 02:45:00 PM »

Anyone know if it is still closed?  I presume it is, but wanted to see if anyone had been around there recently.

mattie

• Day Hiker
Re: East Fork of Indian Creek
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 08:22:44 PM »

I went out there today.  I have been anxiously awaiting them reopening this section.  Now, I would give anything to have them keep it closed.

I have been very vocal and critical about what they're doing, but I saw it firsthand today.  I think purists are going to be upset about it, but I think what they have done is pretty amazing, and I am actually very hopeful that what they've done will make a big move toward achieving their stated goals.  They have done a lot of work.  It was NOTHING like what I expected.  If things continue along the way they are, I will be very happy to eat crow on this one.

However, having said all of that, all of the amazing work they have done and all of the results that are already beginning to show will be lost if they reopen that section anytime soon.  I think they should leave it as a wild section.  There is plenty of room downstream for all of the thousands of privy holes and soil erosion. 

Anyway, one man's opinion, but this is a really extraordinary project.  They have basically been terraforming.  The results are promising.

::mattie

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 11:28:23 AM »

pictures?

mattie

• Day Hiker
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 11:04:28 PM »

Pictures below.

I wish I knew someone attached to this project.  I'm totally convinced that this road needs to stay closed for some time.

Navigator

• Day Hiker
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 09:50:05 AM »

As far as I know road will remain closed to vehicles. Foot traffic only from now on. Best thing that could happen.
Today I have grown taller for walking with the trees. Emerson

mattie

• Day Hiker
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 09:04:37 PM »

I didn't realize that.  I totally agree!

Stewart32

• Over Nighter
  • I Love KY!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 02:55:46 PM »

Where is 9B blocked to vehicular traffic?
thx y'all

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 06:35:38 AM »

Closed at the intersection of A & B.
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

Stewart32

• Over Nighter
  • I Love KY!
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 01:26:57 PM »

thx

mattie

• Day Hiker
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 11:35:04 AM »

I went back here about 2 weeks ago and I was sad to see the road open.  There were more campers there than I've ever seen, by a longshot.  Some of them seriously looked like they were living there and the amount of trash was worse than I've ever seen in the Gorge, particularly that area.

They did a lot of hard work.  I think by reopening this road, it's going to undo a lot of the work they did.

::mattie

RCKT_RCCN

• Over Nighter
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 02:17:20 PM »

Has anyone been back FS 9B this year? The updated 2017 MVUM still shows 9B being accessible all the way back to where it ends near the Amos Creek confluence, but when I was there around September last year the gate was closed at the stream restoration site just past the Little East Fork confluence. I called the London Cumberland Ranger District to ask about the discrepancy and the only answer I got about whether that gate ever opened was, "maybe".  So, has anybody been there lately?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 01:36:40 PM by RCKT_RCCN »

duxsrus

• Day Hiker
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 03:20:59 PM »

I was back there in April this Spring.  If I'm understanding your description, it was the same as you described.  It is permanently closed where the old concrete bridge with the tubes through it was removed (stream restoration site).  If you use this map and zoom in to the area, it is accurately depicted.   https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/index.html

RCKT_RCCN

• Over Nighter
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 07:13:24 PM »

Thanks for the update duxsrus. I was afraid of that. Well, maybe not afraid...I never got to drive back in there before the restoration. Guess I'll just have to do it the old fashioned way, on foot like God intended!

Also, thanks for the link, that's an awesome website! Filing that one away for future use!

ShifuCareaga

• Back Packer
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 09:58:30 AM »

It disappoints me because it continues a trend in KY. In other news if you like the sound of Lost Arch, it's actually Lost now, so...  :D I mean the thing is it may somewhat protect locations from the masses, but in my opinion locals on ATVs are a bigger danger. They camp, poach, leave trash and think they own it so who gives a flip.

Where was that other thing I went to... oh yeah Hidden Falls. I mean the thing is when these places become lost or privatized I almost always note that they remain on a downward slope (albeit slower).

Think about the closing of Yahoo Falls camp to a rec area. It isn't better preserved, people still go there. But now without a campground right there, there isn't constant surveillance. It's only a matter of time before some [you know what] plans out a chance to steal the hidden glyphs, imo.

The public is poor rangers but great security. Although I'd love it if RRG stayed hidden, I think the cat's out of the bag. I just don't see the point of closing off more and more things in this day and age.  Another example is Furnace/Carrington Arch. The road that goes there is of course ranger-only (or horseback) now. So what's protecting the Arch? Or how about Cottage Furnace, which used to be drivable. People can damage or steal that and there is no protection whatesoever except the weight.

The reason our covered bridges remain intact is they are highly visible, visitable, and the best ones have funding. They paint them and protect from termites, and some are even on camera. We can't do that for every arch, or every road... but foot traffic is, overall, a good thing. I think that Anglin Falls and Indianfort are, overall a good example of this. I grant that Lakiji is a notch against my point but that is a rare exception... that's some kind of culture issue.

I hope, if any RRG rangers read this, they will think long and hard about it. Although I bet it is mostly a funding issue. Just like Houchins Ferry. One by one, the government will just shut everything down.

It isn't about one place... it's the trend that worries me.

RCKT_RCCN

• Over Nighter
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 01:59:57 PM »

I am still so undecided about how to think regarding the conservation side of things when it comes to shutting down a forest road versus keeping it open. I definitely agree with you Shifu that illegal horse, atv, and Jeep traffic has the potential to do far more damage than June and Ward out with the family for a weekend camping trip. I would say that Spaas Creek is a perfect example of this. From what I've heard, the OHV crowd has destroyed much of the stream in that area whereas opening it up to the public via improved accessibility could eliminate a lot of that activity. It's a tough debate; what's more desirable, one main road with higher volumes of traffic for camping and hiking, or no easy access with tons of atv trails running hither and yon all over the place?

Example from youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36pB4N4zb30

Another great example of what I'm getting at is the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway. Along that route there are several rockshelters that have become play-scapes for off-roaders. How is that favorable to providing foot-traffic access only via trails (assuming it's on forest land)? The ecological and archaeological impacts must be devastating. (qualifying statement: I am not against off-roading, especially when it's done on private property or done in a responsible manner such as examples from western states along overland routes or inside designated parks; it's the illegal or excessive activity that irks me something fierce)

Stump Cave - fourwheeler.com

With that said, I also understand the challenges facing the forest service financially. And I would imagine in the case of FS 9B, it made sense to leave the gate closed where it crosses East Fork Indian Creek because the whole point of a stream restoration is to undo the adverse effects the old bridge/dam had on the stream. It's probably nonsensical to then allow vehicular traffic thru the stream, not to mention a safety hazard for the majority of the year when stream levels can fluctuate wildly.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 02:11:56 PM by RCKT_RCCN »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy