Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 26, 2020, 09:54:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

Bazinga

December 25, 2019, 06:11:55 AM
Ho Ho Ho Merry Chirstmas!!

Bazinga

November 28, 2019, 07:14:11 AM
Happy Thanksgiving!  Gobble till you wobble. LOL!

Bazinga

October 12, 2019, 07:24:47 AM
YAY!! Cooler Weather has Finally Arrived!!!  ;D

ShifuCareaga

January 02, 2019, 11:28:09 AM
tick warning. My kids picked up ticks WAYY out of season at BSF and Marrowbone, so check yourselves...

ShifuCareaga

August 30, 2018, 11:32:44 AM
Went on a site survey; got destroyed by chiggers n ticks more than I ever have on any single hike. Land owners were clear cutters. Awful.

Show 50 latest
21 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Other Gorges in KY  (Read 3242 times)

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
Re: Other Gorges in KY
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 04:18:01 PM »

Shifu, sorry for the long pause in response, but thanks for the thorough response. You mentioned you've catalogued over 300 locations - all on public lands?? Thanks for your efforts in seeking preservation for these spots! I for one hope you are successful.

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 04:55:32 PM »

Not all on public lands. that's the thing, there are a few KY treasures that are not properly protected at all. I catalog everything I can, because private or public, it is all Indian and National and Commonwealth heritage.

The worst are scored here for you, I'll >> the private stuff
>>Indian Knoll NHL   13
>>Cave Hill Mansion & Cave   15
>>Olympia State Forest   27
Swain Ridge, DBNF   32
>>Jeptha Knob Astrobleme   37
Eugene Goss Park   38
Cottage Furnace, DBNF   41
Kirwan SNP   42
>>High Falls, DBNF   44
Minelands Adventure Park   48
Paintsville Lake WMA SNP   50
Big Rivers WMA State Forest   50
>>Ward Hall   50
>>Shannoah Indian Mounds   51
Boone Station SHS   52
Forkland Community Cabin   52
Bat Cave SNP (Carter Caves)   52
Switzer Covered Bridge   53
Railroad Museum of Cincinatti, Covington   55
Knobs State Forest   56
Buckley Wildlife Preserve   56
Marion County SNP   56
Thunderstruck Shoals   57
Lost Arch, DBNF   57
Jesse Stuart SNP   58
Obion Creek WMA   58
Crossen SNP   58
KY Ridge State Forest   59
Estill Iron Furnace, DBNF   59
Wyatt Jeffries Woods   60   

Now one would expect low tourism scores for places not designed for tourists (private)... but notice just how low these treasures are in score, and just how important they are.

I'm not saying, for instance Jeptha Knob or every place everywhere has to be government controlled. But most certainly a treasure like Jeptha Knob should have a facet of it prepared for geological exploration and education. Private or Public.

Cave Hill Mansion is a tragedy. First the city had the opportunity to get it and restore it. Second the cave entrance and cave system in general in Fayette CO is just ruined. A tragedy of geological wonder for Fayette residents and students.

So places like this lose MORE points and require MORE look because they are, imo, truly endangered locales. As for Olympia, I am aware they decommissioned the SF. And therein my point is self-made.

Thank you my friend. It's work I don't think many would relish to do, but for me, it's all about exploration and networking. I honestly have only been in research mode. Maybe 1 more year of finishing up and then ramping up connections. Because of the inherent GOP/Democratic split on environmental issues in general I plan to not use the traditional routes towards achieving my aims. I don't think rallying all the tree-huggers like me is the right approach. Hence the use of "tourism" data.

Again: it's a theory.

RCKT_RCCN

• Back Packer
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 02:18:50 PM »

Man I learn something new almost every time I visit this site! That's one of the many reasons I keep coming back. Until yesterday I had no idea that Jeptha Knob was an astrobleme, let alone what on earth is an astrobleme! That was fascinating to research. Shifu thanks for sharing your passion and knowledge.

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 05:21:35 PM »

Man I learn something new almost every time I visit this site! That's one of the many reasons I keep coming back. Until yesterday I had no idea that Jeptha Knob was an astrobleme, let alone what on earth is an astrobleme! That was fascinating to research. Shifu thanks for sharing your passion and knowledge.

You're quite welcome. At least you knew about Jeptha Knob. Sadly kids don't even recognize asparagus, and it's hard to know if any of them even know who Daniel Boone is... let alone something that remarkable in geology.

shaman

• Thru Hiker
  • TreeHugger | Environmentalist | Farmer
    • t.r. filbin~photography
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 09:32:49 AM »

Great wealth of information...
Shifu, thank you.
I had to laugh at the asparagus remark! Like when I go to the checkout at the grocery with parsnips, collards, beets, etc... the young cashier always asks what they are. Apparently they were raised on McDonald's kibble.
***    https://shaman.smugmug.com    ***
                   EARTH FIRST
                  No Compromise   

~ TR

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2015, 06:53:42 AM »

I work in retail and just recently hired a young lady still in high school.  After a week, she is no longer a cashier...because she can not make change correctly.   ???
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2015, 09:35:04 AM »

And that's using a computer.

And people wonder how Trump can be popular. They don't even realize what's hidden in the depths of this country...

shaman

• Thru Hiker
  • TreeHugger | Environmentalist | Farmer
    • t.r. filbin~photography
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2015, 04:01:27 PM »

The dumbing down of America is in full swing. My daughter's ex boyfriend wanted to use a phone at my house one day, I pointed to a fully functional rotary phone on an old floor model (vacuum tube) radio... (I like cool old stuff) he saw the dial, hesitated and asked me how it worked...
my granddaughter has a hard time with analog clocks... and... they quit teaching cursive in elementary schools.
***    https://shaman.smugmug.com    ***
                   EARTH FIRST
                  No Compromise   

~ TR

Pat Curran

• Day Hiker
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2019, 05:10:57 PM »

Hey Shifu, I believe those odd shaped ponds near Ano are all reclaimed strip mine retention ponds.

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 11:55:26 AM »

Hey Shifu, I believe those odd shaped ponds near Ano are all reclaimed strip mine retention ponds.

makes sense
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy