Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2017, 04:37:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

March 06, 2017, 11:19:53 AM
Really missed being out yesterday. Rest is important, though. I hope all of you are having a good spring!

Bazinga

November 24, 2016, 02:29:39 PM
Gobble, Gobble.  Happy Turkey Day!!  :D

ShifuCareaga

April 24, 2016, 04:38:09 PM
If people don't get out there... they are missing it... wow what a great weekend for getting out!

ShifuCareaga

March 18, 2016, 10:39:51 PM
you need dit da jow, would heal twice as fast  ;)

Bazinga

March 12, 2016, 07:46:55 AM
Broke my little toe, no hiking for awhile. >:(

Show 50 latest
13 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Indian Creek Area Trip  (Read 1366 times)

hungrybear

• Over Nighter
Indian Creek Area Trip
« on: March 16, 2014, 06:29:30 PM »

I made a 9.5 mile loop in the Indian Creek area this weekend by combining some creek walking, forest service roads, ridge tops and horse trails found in Hinterlands.  Saturday morning, I started hiking up a small stream that feeds into Indian Creek.  I had to deal with some cold feet as I had decided to wear my river shoes instead of rubber boots to save some weight and space in my pack.  Rubber boots would have also offered some protection from briars along the creek.  The minor discomforts were a small price to pay to enjoy some nice creek walking. 

On one of the small rock beaches, I happened across a small fossil that I believe is coral or a sea sponge of some sort.

There were some grassy floodplains and meadows to tromp through but it was easy to follow the hoof-prints left by horses and their path of smashed down grass.

I exited the creek bed through a hollow and climbed my way up to a forest service road that passes by an old cemetery.

From the road I made my way to a nice overlook where I ate some lunch and relaxed for about an hour.

I took an official trail open to bikers and horses past a large limestone arch before I camped above a small rock shelter waterfall. 

Sunday morning I broke camp and continued south-east.  I went barefoot to cross Indian Creek and return to the road and then hike back to my car.  There were several groups camping right off the road.  One group I interrupted said they were climbing but I wasnít familiar with the walls they told me about.
There was a small moss covered boulder jumble on the way back to the car that I enjoyed for a moment.

Despite the number of car campers in the area, I was pleased to only pass one other hiker the whole trip.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 06:32:07 PM by hungrybear »

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
Re: Indian Creek Area Trip
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 06:54:26 PM »

Cool pictures, it was a great weekend to be out. Seems like a good area to go to avoid the crowds.

You went to several places that have been on my list to visit for a year or more, I'm hoping to make it to at least one or two in the next few months. Thanks for the trip report.

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 09:33:41 PM »

Nice pics.  Iím not much on crowds so I think i'ts all good when you can wander in solitude.  Hoping to check out Indian Creek over the summer.
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

CheeseyDean

• Over Nighter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 03:58:18 PM »

Nice pics, Indian Creek is one of my favorite areas. I find it's usually not as packed with people as the other areas of the Gorge. The rock beaches on Indian Creek are littered with those fossils, last year I found a very large one, same species as yours-

Could you PM me the location of that overlook? I don't think I've been to it.

genes

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
  • The top of the hill
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 07:36:45 PM »

Great pictures and report.   

Thanks.

Peace

Gene
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent