Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 27, 2021, 03:55:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

ShifuCareaga

September 05, 2021, 03:38:18 PM
wow the time flies, and so does summer.
Much love to you all, on trail or off!  ;)

ShifuCareaga

July 01, 2021, 04:22:52 PM
greetings from afar/anear  :D

Arthur

March 11, 2021, 02:46:17 PM
ADMIN in the house!!   How has everyone been doing?

Bazinga

November 26, 2020, 06:41:38 AM
Happy Thanksgiving!!! Gobble Gobble  ;D

keith

July 04, 2020, 06:22:36 PM
Happy Independence Day!

Show 50 latest
11 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resurgence Cave  (Read 9209 times)

copper creek

• Thru Hiker
  • I hope my knees hold out
Resurgence Cave
« on: March 24, 2010, 10:23:24 PM »

I went for a walk along the Sheltowee north from turkey foot campground to resurgence cave this afternoon.  The trail was clearly marked (thanks guys) and is fairly clear of debris.  There were 3-4 blow downs that were easy to go around.  Some of the early wildflowers were peeking up through the leaf litter.

Hepatica

Resurgence cave with the dry creek bed upstream and the flowing creek beyond the cave exit.  Short video of cave and creek http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZn3wO-3j_U

A large sycamore tree rooted in the middle of the dry war fork creek bed.  The base is about 10 feet in diameter.

I walked back toward turkey foot by following the dry creek bed for about a mile upstream where the creek submerges into the caves beneath the creek.

I noticed a fair amount of coal rocks in the dry war fork bed.  Is coal actively mined in Jackson County?   Anyone suggest other good hiking trails in the area?

refmo

• Day Hiker
Re: Resurgence Cave
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 07:15:24 PM »

I have been looking for a video of that exact area - thanks Copper.
Looks like a wonderful place to hike.
Does water come down the creek above the cave after a heavy rain?

and definitely YES, there is coal mining in Jackson County (very close to the DBNF).
It is not unusual to come across a small coal seam while hiking up a stream in Jackson County, or most other counties South and East of there.

KeyserSoze

• Over Nighter
  • I Love KY!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 02:53:15 AM »

That's a really awesome cave entrance.  Does the Sheltowee pass right by many other limestone caves?  I know that caving in the forestry is banned right now but I do still love visiting cave entrances at least.
Check out Speleofest, a Memorial Day weekend event.  http://http://louisville.caves.org/speleofest.shtml

PR

• Back Packer
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 09:42:29 AM »

The last underground mines closed around here before WW2, then we had a flurry of strip mining during the boom days of the late 70's and early 80's.  Very little activity since then.  Maybe a couple of permits near Travis, and couple of permits in the Letterbox area, and that's it.  Basicly gone in this county.

The northern half of the county is full of karst.  I think the Rockastle Karst association owns a cave or two in the Sand Springs area.  Wind Cave is actually privately owned (contrary to popular belief).  I've always heard that Berea college owed the Risings, but I don't think so.   

There are karst openings for miles at Turekyfoot, starting just below the campground area.  There's a (extremely freaky for me) entrance or two off the Sheltowee in the next mile or so after it crosses the creek at Resurgence. 

That creek runs about half the time. As a general rule of thumb, if there is water running across the concrete water bars before you get to the campground, there will likely be alittle water in the main creek.

I'm out here a couple of times a week. If ya'll see at mtb tracks, or signs of big mtb wrecks, that probably was me. 

refmo

• Day Hiker
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 07:39:43 PM »

thanks for the creek info, PR.  I'm going to try to get down there sometime this year.

I haven't been in Jackson County for 5+ years, so the mines I'm thinking of may be closed now.
They were small (relatively speaking) surface/strip mines near the community of Peoples, close to the Laurel County line (and about a mile from the DBNF border).
I remember admiring all the beautiful landscape in Jackson County and then a couple of active mines really stuck out like sore thumbs.
I believe Jackson County was Kentucky's #1 coal producer in the 1940's, then most of the big operations moved to Pike county.

I always heard people talk about Wind Cave back in the 70's and early 80's, but haven't heard anyone mention it lately.
Do the private owners allow visitors?

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 03:37:43 PM »

Bros... I literally went 7 miles the wrong way due to bad directions (unclear) elsewhere.
Love the ticks I got.
Well the campground is awesome, and I'll be back to get this done right.
My 4 year old crushed it, though, overall.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy