Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 08:02:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

hungrybear

September 12, 2014, 08:24:27 PM
It feels like fall, I'm ready to hike!

Lizking531

June 20, 2014, 11:41:20 AM
Deam Wilderness - canoe & hammock camping - perfect getaway weekend!
 :)

Bazinga

March 20, 2014, 10:05:32 PM
Spring has arrived!!!

airedale68

March 14, 2014, 02:53:51 AM
wondrous!

keith

February 08, 2014, 11:52:42 AM
Yo!

Show 50 latest
11 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: butter/oil for backpacking  (Read 2497 times)

JohnGotti

• Day Hiker
  • The Cajun Crododile Dundee
butter/oil for backpacking
« on: June 08, 2005, 03:51:46 AM »

hey guys. I just kinda stumbled onto a great food item for your next trip. I'm a delivery driver at Domino's here in Richmond, so i'm always getting little things from the store.  Well, the butter flavored oil (Whirl) that they use for breadstix and cinnastix is perfect for those noodle/rice dinners etc that call for butter.  This stuff turns those dinners into gourmet feasts. Just substitute the same amount of Whirl for the same amount of butter.  It keeps for a month at 90 degree temps and for six months in a cool place at home. Yummy to skillet fry fish (NOT deep fry) in too, as i found out on my last trip.  You might be able to find it at the supermarket, but if you could go to a Domino's store and sweet talk the manager into selling or ordering some for you. It only comes in a gallon jug and its kind of expensive at that size, but you could possibly talk 'em into selling it to you in smaller quantities. Tell 'em you're a backpacker and what you want it for and bring your own container .  I use a 20 oz bottle of it, but I do alot of fishing on the trail, so I use more than a normal person would.  Hope this helps you guys.

The Dapper Don
A human should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, write a sonnet, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, cook a meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specializa

timbros

• KY Junkie
  • mmmmmmmmmmm Hiking.......
    • I like the Pine Mountain Trail
Re: butter/oil for backpacking
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 11:25:37 AM »

Not a bad idea!

I am a butteraholic so I gotta have the real thing.  I put it in a six pack cooler with a frozen water bottle when it's not cold enough to naturally refrigerate outside.

BTW whatcha fishing for JohnGotti?  Spin or Fly?
I can't say I've ever been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel  Boone

JohnGotti

• Day Hiker
  • The Cajun Crododile Dundee
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 05:08:11 PM »

I did some fly fishing when i was a kid, but that was before i developed a temper and i could handle it  ;D

I mostly just pack along an ultralite Quantum Quickshot II on an ultralite Ugly Stik.  Light enough to bring, and Ugly Stiks are nigh indestructable.  That rig makes a crappie feel like its a 200 lb tarpon. Good times.

Its for that reason that i'm always looking for good fishing holes in the gorge.  You guys see any, lemme know :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 05:13:22 PM by JohnGotti »
A human should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, write a sonnet, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, cook a meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specializa

timbros

• KY Junkie
  • mmmmmmmmmmm Hiking.......
    • I like the Pine Mountain Trail
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 06:51:29 PM »

Swift Camp Creek will provide just about anywhere.  Also love Indian Creek!

I've also caught sunfish and such on Gladie Creek.

I can't say I've ever been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel  Boone
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Privacy Policy